Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Intuition

From time to time, we are all reminded of this special sense that we have (some more than others) that lets us know when something isn't quite right, or something should be avoided, etc. Intuition.

Last Thursday, we were invited to a going away party for married friends of ours that are moving to China. We had a babysitter lined up for Little Man and all was good. The sitter had to cancel, so I figured we could just take him with us. Then that day, I just had the feeling that maybe we shouldn't go - Little Man wasn't feeling well and I just, well, had a feeling. But they are very good friends and we will miss them terribly... so we went.

The party ends up being a bunch of people that we didn't know and had never heard of from our friends... we get sat by the least desirable people in the room (think about "the mutants at Table 9" in The Wedding Singer) far away from the guests of honor.

We finally get our food and just as the waiter finished saying, "This plate is really hot", Flash (otherwise known as Little Man) reached out and grabbed the plate that felt like it had been in a 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes. Needless to say, his little hand and between his fingers got burned and blistered. And he screamed and screamed and screamed. And The Mutants at Table 9 kept offering up all this lame-ass advice - put butter on it! put honey on it!.

I think the only reason I had even a hint of control was because I didn't want to go uber-bitch in the middle of our friends' party. (That, and I knew that the baby was fine... and he is. Healing just fine.)

So, I blamed myself - I thought to take Little Man from Mr. Fix-It because I was further away from the table, hence further away from the plate, but I didn't do it. Plus, I had the feeling that we shouldn't have gone at all.

Then again, maybe our going stopped something else from happening... now we are just getting into karma and that is a whole other blog entry.

Incidentally, at Pei Wei last night, my fortune cookie said "Trust your intuition." Coincidence? Karma? Who knows. Maybe I will listen to it a little more often...

No comments:

Post a Comment